Sunday, June 22, 2008

Where does the time go?

I received and email today from my high school class president, informing me that in September, I am invited to my ten year reunion. Now, those who know me, know I am not dramatic. I will not play the, "man, I am so old," tune. I have to admit, it is weird to read the email. I started receiving Facebook invites from all of my old classmates. As exciting as it was to see where they are all, it was a time of introspection for me. I tried to remember my senior year and where I thought I would be ten years from then . I'm nowhere near where I thought I would be. In fact, I might as well be living a completely different life than I thought. So, for a little cathartic experience, I thought I would do a short comparison of where I thought I would be, and where I am. Here goes:

1. Then: Thought I would go to a couple years of school and then leave for a mission.
Reality: Left for a mission when I was 23. Went to SLC and was out for 3 months before having to come home due to medical problems.

2. Then: I would come home at 21yrs of age and find a wonderful girl to take to the temple.
Reality: Was engaged for two years in a dysfunctional relationship, which lead to absolutely nothing positive in my life. Broke off said engagement and have been single ever since.

3. Then: I would finish school quickly and become a therapist for those who need help with their lives.
Reality: Have been in school for 8yrs, trying to figure out what the heck I am supposed to do with the rest of my life. Have finally decided on accounting, and have a year and a half left.

4. Then: I would have a couple of kids who love me and think I'm the greatest dad in the world.
Reality: I am the favorite uncle whose brothers and sisters feel the need to explain to their kids that Uncle Marshall is not gay and that Sean is just a friend.

That is my comparison. Sounds kind of depressing. Truth is, I wouldn't change it for the world. These experiences have made me who I am. I am grateful I left late for my mission. It taught me patience, and I was there for the right reasons. I'm glad I came home early. It made me look at people differently and to never judge them because I never know what they actually are experiencing in their life. I'm glad I haven't gotten married yet. I've been able to learn so much from watching brothers and sisters. I know what I am looking for and will cherish that person when she finally comes along. I'm glad I have been in school so long. The best experience of my life was finally coming to a realization of what I was supposed to be doing with my talents and interests. I have acquired a lot of knowledge, especially in history, which is my first academic love. The only thing I do regret, is that I have not had the opportunity to be a dad. I love my nieces and nephews. I look forward and hope for that day when I am called a father.
Anyways, never look back with regret, but with gratitude, for the experiences that have made you who you are now.

2 comments:

Holli said...

Marshall I love this blog! I think everyone has those same struggles. The truth is, we're not as in control of our lives as we think we are. I mean, by my standards, I should be embarking on my 3rd backpacking trip through Europe. But, I wouldn't change where my life is right now for anything in the world.

The Palmers said...

i like your blog! i agree... time really does fly and things turn out very differently than you'd think. good to see you for 2 seconds last sunday. we'll be there again next sunday for a similar showing. haha happy summer!